Tuesday, June 21, 2011

to work without a camera

this served as an awesome first project as it allowed me to dive deep into the concept of experimental film; so experimental, in fact, that no cameras were involved. If someone were to simply tell me this was going to be our first assignment without any sort of explanation, I would have thought it impossible. However, this first assignment was placed appropriately, allowing us to hone our skills with solely the moving image rather than the modern technology (i.e. cameras) we use to simplify and enhance our creation of the moving image. One thing I did note when viewing what we had created was that the projected image is not only much more magnified than I had expected, but choices I had made on the film (whether it be coloring, scraping, or bleaching) had a much different look than I would have expected them to, which I found to be both good and bad. It was bad only in that it was somewhat frustrating and anticlimactic to see something different from what I had expected. However, it was extremely good in that we were experimenting and things are supposed to be unexpected. hmmm..."supposed to be unexpected", kind of an oxymoron i guess, but you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment