Monday, May 23, 2011

Synesthesia and Cymatics

Both of these topics were of extreme interest to me during this assignment, considering cymatics was a concept I had considered but hadn't known there was a name for it, while Synesthesia has recently become relevant to me in light of some of my own personal research. In the case of cymatics, it makes sense that sound has the power to emit a strong enough frequency that it would create a physical effect on a surrounding object. However, when you consider the resulting effect to be a form of visualizing sound, that is when it truly becomes eye opening and intriguing. The research that this limited group of scientists are conducting is bound to provide us with much food for thought, and I look forward to future experiments. In terms of Synesthesia, I think I may in fact have a mild form. I personally match numbers with genders. I find that some numbers are male and some are female. While this may not be synesthesia, I did find my case (of placing genders on numbers) relevant when the I read on Wikipedia that ordinal linguistic personification involves giving numbers their own personalities. Last month I actually stumbled on some research of Synesthesia when I was conducting research on ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) which is a "something" (I dont want to say condition because its quite awesome) that I have had since I was a child. In a nutshell, it is a strong, almost euphoric, tingly feeling in the head that is naturally onset by certain triggers...no drugs required. It is EXTREMELY under researched and I hadn't even found anyone else who shared the "condition/experience" until a recently discovered online forum. What is interesting is MANY cases of Synesthesia popped up amongst ASMR experiencers. Getting back onto topic, however, in terms of experimental films, I can see how synesthesia would be great to utilize in creating meaning with simple concepts such as number and letters (besides just creating words of course). I look forward to learning more about all three topics!

2 comments:

  1. Omg! I'm glad someone talked about synesthesia and cymatics being strikingly similar to each other!!! I was just wondering about the same and happened to Google (Ah! life's impossible without it!) and voila! I find this! I am elated cuz I think the thought hasn't hit many people yet, :P I couldn't stop myself from commenting! In fact, I quoted one of your lines (In a nutshell,...,no drugs required.) in one of my articles, I sincerely hope you don't mind! :)
    Its crazy how we can visualize something so intrinsic in the physical world!!! :O Maybe dreams have some undiscovered physical bridge too!
    And, I curse my neuronal connections to have been non-synesthetic. :/
    Anyway,
    Cheers!!! ^_^
    Have a good day! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm only just now seeing this comment! Thanks for reading! I'd love to read your article if you still have it :)

      Delete